Jeffrey S. Hagen focuses his practice on international tax and estate planning, primarily for high-net-worth individuals, international entrepreneurs, and trust structures.
Mr. Hagen advises on the viability and effectiveness of complex international transactions, potential for corporate inversions, Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act of 1980 (FIRPTA) issues, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, income and estate tax treaties, and compliance relating to the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) and Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). Mr. Hagen is also well-versed with respect to the new Economic Substance laws for companies established in the Caribbean.
Mr. Hagen has been a frequent speaker on pressing topics at international tax conferences, including recently in Malta, Panama, and Mexico. He was born and raised in Miami, Florida, and enjoys attending Heat games, trying new restaurants around the city, and reading and writing.
- Transfer Pricing Challenges in 2020, The Florida Bar’s International Law Quarterly (ILQ) (Fall 2020)
- Taxation of Assets at Death: By Whom?, The Florida Bar’s International Law Quarterly (ILQ) (Spring 2020) Click here to view article
- IRS Publishes New Guidance for 2020 Income Tax Residency Due to COVID-19, International Law Section Gazette (April 2020) Click here to view article
- Economic Substance Requirements in the Caribbean: End of an Era?, The Florida Bar’s International Law Quarterly (ILQ) (Fall 2019) Click here to view article
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2016
- J.D., with honors, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2015
- B.A., University of Michigan, 2012
Presentations and Panels
- Impact of New Economic Substance Rules on International Transactions, Panelist, ILS Global Forum on International Law (February 2020, Miami, Florida)
- Economic Substance: Impact on Tax Structures, Speaker, Transnational Tax Network (September 2019, Malta)
- Comparative Tax Law, Panelist, ILS Conference on International Law in Panama (May 2019, Panama City, Panama)
- Aviation and Taxation: U.S. and International Law, Speaker, Transnational Tax Network (May 2019, Miami, Florida)
- Moving to the U.S.: Tax Law Considerations, Speaker, Transnational Tax Network (November 2018, Mexico City, Mexico)
- Recent Death of Non-U.S. Parent with U.S. Children – What Do We Do?, Speaker, Transnational Tax Network (May 2018, New York City, New York)
- Domestic Single Member LLCs and Related Foreign Party Transactions, Speaker, Transnational Tax Network (May, 2017, New York City, New York)
- Chair, Tax Committee of the Florida Bar’s International Law Section
- Editor, Special Features, Florida Bar’s International Law Quarterly (ILQ)
- Member, Tax Section of the Florida Bar
- Member, International Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Member, Transnational Tax Network
- Florida Bar, 2015